Tuesday, January 02, 2007

First Night 5K, 2007 Edition

This was not a good run for me. Soon after we started, like within the first 300 meters, the calf muscle strain I had suffered on Christmas Day, which I had thought was completely fine, came back. This in spite of the stretching and warm-ups I had done before the race.

I thought it might relax a little once I topped the first hill, but it really didn't at all until I was almost 2 miles in. I struggled along for those first two miles as best I could. Even without the leg issue, I just didn't feel like I had the chi I usually do. I was really surprised when I passed the two-mile mark at 15:20. I coughed up a blob of phlegm on the short hill thereafter, and finally felt able to open up a little and run.

After I crested the little hill, I was suddenly passing people left and right. I couldn't even tell you how many I passed in the last mile. I got a good, hard sprint to the finish, too. My official time was 23:16, which is more than a minute slower than last year. Honestly, I couldn't believe I was that fast.

My goal for the coming year is to get under 22 minutes for a 5K. It will take some work, but I think it's easily doable.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home