Sunday, October 31, 2004

Road to Hope 5K

First, thanks to Julie for letting me know I needed to get a chip. They handed out bibs, so I assumed that's what they were using. So as I was walking up to the starting line, Julie pointed out that I needed one. So I ran all the way back over the IST bridge, got my chip, and ran all the way back to the starting line.

I had meant to rest today in preparation for the race, but it was so nice out and there was so much to be done, I just couldn't. I spent much of morning raking leaves and mowing. So I was already a bit tired as the race began. My goal was 7-minute mile pace. Anyway I went out fast: way too fast. My first mile was 6:30.

Then we started the second, which is mostly uphill. I totally died. I didn't stop running, but I sure wanted too. I dragged my sorry butt through the second mile in like 8:25. (Although some nice girl did comment on my "Run Against Bush" shirt.)

The last mile was level or downhill, so I managed to get my pace back under control. I managed to pass a few people, including that nice girl. There was this little kid who was staying ahead of me though, and good for him. I had no kick at the end, but I managed to get in at 23:20.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home